Monday, March 21, 2011

March 21, 2011 - Gays, Lesbians, bisexuals, transsexuals and straights in Media

I found it odd but not too surprising after a student showed our class a video on how some commercials are segregated in society. I know that some commercials are for certain demographics and some are even in different languages to pertain to their audiences but I didn't know until tonight that some commercials are edited or shown only on "gay" TV networks to fit with the type of audience that watches those networks. I guess regular society isn't ready for gays or lesbians to be in commercials acting in a normal way. They usually are portrayed as their stereotypical counterpart or in a comedic way. I guess being seen in a comedic way is a way of accepting it.

Some shows on television have helped homosexuality to be accepted in society such as Will and Grace or Queer Eye for the Straight Guy. Also I've notices that every season of Real World up to this day has had a gay cast member. This has helped to see through their eyes for their age group at the time of each season of Real World.

I think homosexuality will be accepted in society soon but not in the same way as being straight just because it is considered a sin in a lot of religions. Its good to know there are a lot of gay friendly churches popping up around the country though,

1 comment:

  1. Joey, Thanks for your insights on this blog. I appreciate your keeping up with most of the classes. I also value your opinions. Thanks, and keep up your blogging! MIDTERM BLOG GRADE: 89

    ReplyDelete