Tuesday, April 19, 2011

April 18: Princesses, wicked stepmothers and representation of race in Disney films

I can totally understand how Disney has raised some of children that are Disney fanatics and have seen many Disney films. A lot of Disney fairy tales use a formula throughout their films. There is usually a princess, a wicked step mother or an evil being of some sort, and a hero. The princess is usually very beautiful, skinny, white, and the one little girls and boys admire. The evil being usually has darker color hair and darker features, sometimes old, and usually ugly. These are the characters children learn to not like for obvious reasons. The hero is usually handsome, strong, and white. All these characters are influential to children and scene throughout Disney films. Girls that watch them usually want to be like the princess and the boys usually want to be like the hero.

I grew up watching some Disney films and I feel it has effected me somewhat.

1 comment:

  1. Joey, Thank you so much for your blog! I feel like I didn't get to know you in class, but I know more about you through this blog. I appreciate your thoughtful posts. BLOG GRADE: 94

    ReplyDelete