Monday, April 25, 2011

April 25: Latino/Latina images in media

The population of Hispanic/Latino surprised me a little. I know there are a lot of Hispanics/Latinos in Texas but overall not so many in the United States.  Hispanics/Latinos are usually never portrayed in the media unless it is about immigration or crime. Blacks on  Hispanics/Latinos are usually the ones in portrayed as criminals. In american movies there is a  Hispanics/Latinos stereotype, usually they are a gangster, cleaner, or lawn person. I noticed a  Hispanic actor that was in a few films. He always played the same thug character with a shaved hear, long white t-shirt, and long sagging shorts. I don't know if this was on purpose or if he just played a stereotype in films.

I think it's ironic that there are laws in some states that push  Hispanic/Latino immigrants out and are against migration when this country was settled by immigrants! not only was it settled by white English immigrants but also taken.  Hispanic/Latino Immigrants as well as others helped build and shape this country! I also don't believe they take away jobs. They are hard workers and must be a harder worker if they can get a job over the person complaining about it. I know a lot of employers pay them less, which is wrong and I think considered modern day slavery, but there is no reason to complain about taking away jobs!

No comments:

Post a Comment